Get Involved at BAT!
Volunteers are the fuel that powers Burien Actors Theatre. Help make the magic happen! If you can do anything, Burien Actors Theatre can use your assistance.
Volunteers perform all the theatre's administrative tasks, plus most of the work to stage our shows. From sweeping the floor to board members, we only succeed because of the talent and labor of the people who donate their time.
You don't have to be trained in theater to join the Burien Actors Theatre family. If you can paint the walls in your living room, sew a shirt or put up a poster, you can help. And you will be guided by experienced volunteers.
Currently, our greatest need is for people to help with administrative tasks like addressing envelopes and copying, and with publicity tasks like distributing posters to various businesses and writing promotional materials. But we are always looking for new recruits in every category because, the more the merrier.
Here are just a few of the volunteer opportunities we offer:
- Publicity - create and distribute ads, press releases, posters, postcards, signs and other publicity materials
- Office staff - answer phones, return calls, address postcard and letters
- Ad sales - selling advertising in our programs and on our website
- Programs - create, layout and print programs
- Costumes - designing, sewing, altering, shopping at thrift stores, inventorying and sorting BAT existing costumes
- Sets - designing, painting, building, installing, inventorying
- Building - building sets, props, specialty items and creating storage in BAT's office
- Props - design, make or finding props, either by borrowing or shopping the thrift stores, inventorying - it's like a scavenger hunt
- Lighting - designing, hanging lights for a show, operating the light board during a show
- Sound - design sound for a show, operate the sound board during a show - Find that noise and name that tune all in one
- Ushering - take tickets, seat people, handing out programs, and handle emergencies, should they arise
- Box Office - sell tickets, confirm reservations, and send out season tickets
- Concessions - setting up and serve goodies before the show and at intermission. It's a great way to meet our patrons
- Bar tending - if you have a valid MAST license, prepare and serve BAT's specialty cocktails, beer and wine to patrons over 21
Everyone who helps gets a free ticket to see a performance. It's a great way to see a show for free!
To see some of our volunteers in action, check out our Photo Albums.